March 25, 2013

Testing new skincare or foundations


With my finicky skin, testing skincare, primer or foundation is... well... it's an act of either courage or desperation which is why unless I'm on the hunt for a solution I've stopped accepting skincare for reviews. 

When I do have to test something though, here's what I do.

  1. I wait till my skin is either completely or mostly clear OR it's been breaking out for awhile and I can't stop it (this is desperation). The problem is if my skin IS clear I hate to disrupt it at all and sometimes will hold off trying a new product for ages because of this.
  2. When I finally get the guts to try it out, motivated by curiosity or some form of mild insanity, I apply a light layer for a night event. Why night? Because it's cooler and shorter and thus less likely to greatly piss off my skin.
  3. I wait a week and watch my skin anxiously for breakouts. Because these things can take a few days to surface, it's best to wait a week. 
  4. If I DO breakout, I clear up again and repeat step 1 to be sure it's the product.
  5. If nothing bad happens I test it for a day. Then stop again for a week.
  6. If nothing happens again I move on to alternate use. The idea here is that if I DO breakout, it won't be as bad or last as long.
  7. By this time I'm pretty sure if my skin likes the product or hates it and I either dump it or use it daily. 

The entire process takes a month and is fraught with fear.

I'm hostage to my own skin. Damn.

How do you test out new products? Hope you're having an easier time of it than I am!

17 comments:

Annette said...

Totally get what you're going through. As a proud owner of a rosacea skin, it's frustrating because I like to try new products too. Doesn't help matters when we follow some beauty blog/surf makeupalley and they rave and rave and rave about it. I like your method. I think I'll try that (skin is breaking out at the moment) one day.

Eli said...

Everything begins with the sniff test. If I don't sneeze or start tearing up, then I move on to the patch test. If there are no rashes, then I'll proceed to cautiously try the product on my skin.

Its a loooong waiting game. And it usually takes about 3 weeks for my skin to decide whether it likes or hates something.

Kahani said...

@Annette hope the methodology works for you!

Man Eli you win the crazy skin award!

Alice said...

I do my testing by putting a small amount in the affected area but not the whole area but small area only. Try it a couple of days then if I notice good results then put the product on the whole area.

Kahani said...

Alice: Good call on that only I can't decide what area of my face to sacrifice! =(

-blessed b9, Catalyst4Christ said...

Coming to my BIG-ol,
John Belushi, party-hardy,
extraordinary-exponential-exactly
Seventh-Heaven which is
eternal pleasure-beyond-measure?

Do you...
1) love God?
2) love your neighbor?
Cya Upstairs ♥️

Healthy beauty by sauleha choudhary said...

nice content thanks for sharing with us such a useful content....healthy beauty tips.....
how to do nail art at home

playstore60 said...

Hello, nice post i also want question

playstore60 said...

Hello, nice post thanks

rws5yh said...

Very good article Visit i really
like it....

rws5yh said...

Very Good Article Brother Keep It Up And Also Write Article On Order Mastercard It Is A Good Topic.

Anonymous said...

Halo,I'm Helena Julio from Ecuador,I want to talk good about Le_Meridian Funding Service on this topic.Le_Meridian Funding Service gives me financial support when all bank in my city turned down my request to grant me a loan of 500,000.00 USD, I tried all i could to get a loan from my banks here in Ecuador but they all turned me down because my credit was low but with god grace I came to know about Le_Meridian so I decided to give a try to apply for the loan. with God willing they grant me  loan of 500,000.00 USD the loan request that my banks here in Ecuador has turned me down for, it was really awesome doing business with them and my business is going well now. Here is Le_Meridian Funding Investment Email/WhatsApp Contact if you wish to apply loan from them.Email:lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.comWhatsApp Contact:+1-989-394-3740.

Akshat Gupta said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Purna Jain said...

Great website and amazing Information thanks for sharing useful things you can also Visit
Work From Home Jobs For Women

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this information. It is really helpful. Please visit our blog also.
"Jobs for Pregnant Women"

Karthik Mashwe said...

Thanks for sharing this information. It is really helpful. Please visit our blog also.
"Jobs for Pregnant Women"

Unknown said...

this is a article about self care routine you can take care of your skin through this thechosen10.com might help