September 28, 2012

Absolutely loving my Konjac sponge ~


The first time I've ever heard about the Konjac sponge, was when I saw it on Tine's post here. And she was right. I did go "Kuu Kon.. WHA?"

By the time I was done with her post, I did manage to get the name right though, and decided it was sponge I had to try. And that's how I ended up having a big black blob of a sponge in my bathroom.

I haven't had it very long, but it's surely become part of evening cleansing routine.

The sponge itself is made from 'Amorphophallus Konjac'. The site says that "the KONJAC POTATO is a perennial plant, native to Asia and sometimes known as Konnyaku".

Texture wise, it's a little hard and rough when it's dry, but let it soak in water for a bit, and it grows plump into a little soft spongeball (or rather, half of a spongeball).


Here you can have a closer look at the texture of the Konjac sponge.

By the way, you're ONLY suppose to use it after it's been completely soaked through, never dry.


I've been using it daily since I got it, and my skin loves it. It really does feel incredibly soft against the skin... it's not abrasive at all. When you're done, just give it a good rinse, squeeze and hang it up to dry. Since getting this, I'm afraid my other scrubbies have been rather neglected, poor dears.

My method of choice is to cleanse my skin with an oil cleanser, rinse, apply my Cetaphil cleanser and then use the Konjac to exfoliate. This results in clean, soft, and really happy skin. It's pretty good in cleaning out the white-heads which I usually find at the side of my nose too.

I picked two Konjac sponges up from the UK Konjac website (for £6.50 each), and yes, they do ship to Malaysia (my shipping cost £4.20). Yay! The ones I got were the charcoal (for acne-prone skin) and the pink clay (for tired and devitalised skin). I haven't tried the pink one yet though.

On its acne-fighting claims (for the charcoal one), I find that I am still breaking out, but not quite as before. And even when I do, the zit does die down quite quickly. But that could be also due to my other acne-busting efforts.

On the whole, I really do love the Konjac sponge. It's definitely not something I'd like to do without these days.

Now to figure out how to travel with it as it doesn't fully dry up overnight.

Have you tried the Konjac sponge?

7 comments:

beetrice said...

Have seen quite a few varieties of these around - the one from Nature Republic comes in a moist sealed bag, while another generic one from Sasa comes rock hard/ dried out. They seem to work the same though! :D

I suppose if you wanted to travel with it, you could always store it in a small ziplock bag? :P

Kahani said...

I've been finding that it does make a subtle difference and by and large I like it too!

Great photos of the sponge though! A humble photo subject but you've elevated it. ;)

kuri said...

ooh! They sell these in Japan (where we love to eat it too :D) but I've never bothered to pick one up. I'll have to try it! Do they go bad after a while?

jeen said...

psst Singapore site Luxola sells the sponge too, for S$13 :)
I've ordered from them before and it is free next day delivery to your doorstep down here
plus they ship around the region now
I have been thinking about getting this since I saw it pop up and all these reviews are swaying me. thanks!

Syen said...

bee: Ziplock bag. Now why didn't I think of that before. I had been worried about it being moist in the bag.. but you're right, some come packaged moist anyway. So guess it can't hurt. =P

Kahani: Thanks dearie! Glad you're enjoying yours too. =)

Syen said...

kuri: I'm not sure.. I've only had mine for a few weeks, but I think after a while, they might lose their scrubbiness? I really don't know if they go bad after a while. I doubt it will turn toxic and kill your skin, more likely it'll lose it's sponginess and texture, I think.

jeen: Thanks for the info. Nice to know that more sites are also carrying it. All the better for the consumer! =)

Kenneth Burton said...

Thank you for shaaring this